Sunday, November 29, 2009

My Best Friend

My best friend died last night/this morning at 4am, in my arms. He had been suffering for about a week and a half with either some sort of digestive problem or a less-severe version of canine bloat. He had been unable to digest any food and any time he ate, he was restless and whimpering in pain. Taking him off solid foods worked for a day or two, but then even soups started causing him severe discomfort. He was bellowing in pain all night last night, and after a while I got the sinking feeling he was dying. Around 4am I heard him fall against his house and he let out a couple yelps. When I got there, he was leaned over the front of his house with his neck caught against the side wood. It looked like his neck was broken. I jumped out and laid him down, cradling him in my arms. As soon as I did his bladder released and I knew what was happening. For about five minutes I watched his breathing dissipate, until he finally breathed his last few breaths. He wasn't whining or whimpering during this time so I kind of wanted him to go. He was truly my best friend and the smartest dog I'd ever come across. If you watched his eyes, you could see him thinking.

Rest in peace, King.
December 1999 - November 29, 2009